Monday, September 3, 2012

Life without cable

As you might notice, I'm not a timely blogger. Ever since I replaced my laptop with a desktop - and no other device I have has more than a virtual keyboard -  I actually have to sit in one spot at the computer to type up a post.

Who has that kind of time?

I should have posted this on August 24th. That was the 6-month anniversary of when I ditched cable. I thought I should just give an update on how this has affected my life.

IT'S AWESOME!

OMG...I'm so glad I did this. I accomplish so much more without being tied to the TV. I still miss my sports. When Nascar went to cable in June, I started longing for my cable. I did not cave in, though. I can get all the races on the radio...local radio at that. I find that I can listen to the race and get other things done at the same time.

Oprah calls that multitasking.
(10 cool points!)

With the NFL starting next week, I know the shock of not getting certain games will hit me again. This whole CBS not coming in on the antenna on the main floor of the house will kill me sooner rather than later, I'm sure.

I digress.

Bottom line...I am getting so much more done in any given day. I'm reading so much more (thank you Amazon for the Kindle freebies), and finding great up-and-coming independent authors. I'm spending more time outside and hanging out with my neighbors more.

I have a Roku. I have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. (The price of all those subscriptions together was so much cheaper than cable, and now I have everything on demand.) I may have to watch something a day, week, or year later, but I can get just about everything. I would definitely recommend cutting the cord.

P.S. I'm also finding the time to read Fifty Shades. Ugh. How awful are these books? Oh my...