Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The End is Where We Begin

Today was a pretty big day for me.

It went almost completely unnoticed.

Kinda like when Crash hits his dinger, hangs it up, and the Sporting News doesn't cover it?

Yep.

Today was my last day working full-time in the Editing department at Kaplan. Two weeks ago, I accepted a new position as Curriculum Coordinator. Tomorrow I begin a 2-week transition of splitting time 50/50 between the old and the new.

This is news to many of you, mostly because I haven't really told anyone. The reason I haven't shared the news is quite sad. See, a good friend and co-worker also applied for this position. When it was offered to me, I was just sick. Literally. As happy as I was for me, I felt horrible for her. Then there were the people who were sad. I didn't want to continue to share the news and rub salt in the wounds.

People think I'm a selfish bitch. I really beg to differ.

Then, late last week, I discovered that people were glad I was moving on...and not in the this-is-the-best-thing-for-your-career way. This was very disheartening. I was quite close to tears. Instead, I focused on the rage and anger that caused me to even apply for the position in the first place.

You see, for the past few months, I have been medicated in order to do my job. That's how stressful it had become. Those of you that know me and know my family history know how horribly awful it was for me to ask a doctor to put me on medication...just so I could do my job every day.

The moral to this story is that I'm grabbing this opportunity by the (bull) horns and making some significant changes in my life. Priorities will start to change, and I will begin to weed out the people who do not offer positivity in order to make room for those that do.

I leave you with the chorus from a song off my fave album of the month:

The end is where we begin
It's crawling back when
We run away, run away
Cuz the end is where we begin
Where broken hearts mend
and start to beat again
The end is where we begin

 *Special thanks to Bull Durham and Thousand Foot Krutch for letting me borrow dialogue and song lyrics for today's blog.