Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Bookish Weekend

Last week, this quote showed up on my Facebook Newsfeed, attributed to Rob Pattinson. Being Team Jacob, I was quite sure he never said this. And if he did, it was because a movie script told him to. I did eventually find the source, which was not Rob. Regardless, I really liked it.

"If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours, but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are. Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads."

Most of you know by now that I went to Orlando, FL last weekend for Book Bash. It was quite an interesting event. Basically, a whole lot of really cool people who write books all came to one central place, and fans could meet them, get autographs, and have their picture taken with the cool people. I think maybe the coolest part was meeting other fans...some of which you met through Facebook groups or Goodreads groups or from Amazon reviews.



I'll admit that there were some things about the event I didn't like, but overall, I would attend another of these events. In fact, in 2014, there will be two almost in my backyard: Minneapolis and Chicago. If anyone wants to join me, let me know!

Here are a few more pictures of the room, layout, and crowd.






























If anyone wants to learn more about the event, the website is still up. Or, you can follow them on Facebook. There were professional photographers there, and we've been told the photos and videos will appear on the Facebook page when they are ready.