Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fence project #2

So, the 2nd fence project is complete. It didn't really take very long, but I did encounter problems (big shocker).

Here is the fence I had "propped up" since I moved in in 2008.


And here is what the new fence looks like.



The panels that I bought were advertised at 60x72 (or, 5' tall by 6' wide). Stupid me did not actually measure the pieces once I got them home. I'll take the blame for this, but seriously...You wouldn't think that when you bought 72"-wide panels that they'd actually be 67 INCHES! Yep, realized this after the posts had already been sunk and concreted. So, Home Improvement Heather had to punt.

There were really only two sections that were affected: the two pieces that go from the front to the back. The other section had the gate (which I DID measure) and a piece that I was going to have to cut short anyway. So...I decided that the middle post was where I needed to concentrate my "fix."


I went to Menards and bought two more posts (at $35 a piece). I cut them so they were a little taller, and sorta mounted them to the concreted post. I have a bungee around all three right now because there is some vinyl glue holding the panels along with some screws. Considering I installed this all in a day-long drizzle, I've opted to leave the bungee for awhile during some nicer weather.

The post sitting alone between the sidewalk and the garage didn't cure very well in yesterday's weather. The gate was a fairly tight fit between the posts, so I took the opportunity to use some spare pieces and extra concrete to try to get that post as close to the garage as possible. So, there are some boards and such currently pushing that post while the concrete cures. Haven't used the gate at all since installation, and I figure I'll leave it through tomorrow night. Hopefully after a nice day today and tomorrow, that concrete will be solid, and that post will be exactly where I want it. That is why in some of the pics, you can see the grill in the way of the gate. Just trying to keep the dog from jumping on it.

Finally, the best part of this whole project. Since I had to short-cut the one piece, I had figured I'd have just enough leftover to put in a small spot that had been lattice. Sure enough, it was the perfect size!



Once I paint the picket fence white, it will look very fluid.